Things to know before you submit:
- We do not accept first drafts or manuscripts in need of any structural/developmental edits. Manuscripts should be free of plot holes, inconsistencies, and other major errors before it’s submitted to us. We provide line and copy edits as well as a proofread, but we do not provide developmental or structural edits. This allows for a speedier production schedule of quality books. Remember to show, don’t tell. Keep things pacy! We don’t want manuscripts that are bogged down with unnecessary filler or info dumps throughout. We suggest reading your work out loud to help with crafting realistic dialogue. We know editing your own work is extremely hard, so it might be a good idea to consider having your work edited by a professional before submitting it to us or any other publisher. However, please note that it is not required and it does not guarantee your manuscript will receive an offer from us.
- We do not offer advances, but we do offer higher royalties than most traditional publishers.
- We utilize POD (print on demand) for our print books. This allows us to pay higher royalties for print books as well.
- We are open to agented and unagented submissions.
- We pay net royalties on a monthly basis, within 30 days of Publisher’s receipt of royalties from our distributors.
- At Finch House Press we publish Romance and Thriller fiction for Adult and Young Adult audiences.
- We are committed to providing our authors with individual support, care, and enthusiasm for every book throughout their careers with us.
- Our books are made available to Amazon, Apple Books, Barnes & Noble, Google Play, Kobo, independent bookstores, and other well-known book retailers and wholesalers.
Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.Anton Chekhov
Please email your query letter, synopsis/brief chapter outline and the first three chapters of your manuscript in a Word doc/docx to us at submissions [ a t ] finchhousepress [ d o t ] com If you’re submitting a manuscript that is 5,000-15,000 words in length, then please send the full manuscript.
We accept short stories, novellas, and full-length fiction manuscripts of 5,000 to 100,000 words at this time. We hope to respond to all submissions within twelve weeks of receipt, but at busy times this may not be possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer personalized feedback on all submissions. Please keep in mind that what isn’t a fit for us may very well be a fit for another publishing house as this industry is very subjective.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to include in my submission?
A query letter introducing you and your manuscript. This is also where you will include your contact information: Name, address, and phone number.
A synopsis/brief chapter outline. Please don’t leave anything to the imagination, we want the spoilers in this – see how to craft a synopsis here: https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/how-to-write-a-synopsis.html
The first three chapters of your manuscript, unless your manuscript is between 5,000-15,000 words. Please do not submit the full manuscript unless requested. If you submit the full manuscript without being requested to do so, it will result in a rejection.
- Can I submit more than one manuscript at once?
No, please only submit one manuscript at a time. If you submit more than one manuscript, both manuscripts will be rejected.
- Can I submit to you and other publishers simultaneously?
Absolutely! We only ask that you inform us of this in your query letter, and let us know if you receive any interest from another publisher(s) so we can make sure to respond to your submission as quickly as possible. We will follow up with the other publisher for confirmation, so please do not lie about this as it will result in an automatic rejection.
- Can I submit a book that has been previously published?
Yes, we consider manuscripts that have been previously published, traditionally or self-published – as long as you currently hold the rights and can provide proof of the rights reversion from the previous publisher. Please let us know in your query letter if your manuscript has been previously published when you submit to us. Include how many copies it has sold and where it was sold, including retailers and whether or not it was strictly in Kindle Unlimited.
- Do you only accept submissions from the US?
We publish authors from the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada.
- What are you currently looking for?
We are currently looking for single-title length (70,000-100,000 words) commercial Romance and Thriller fiction for Adult and Young Adult audiences with series potential.
We also accept Romance and Thriller short stories, novellas, and full-length novel manuscripts.
We are not currently accepting non-fiction, inspirational, children’s, sci-fi, fantasy, or historical.
- When should I expect to hear back on my submission?
We will try to respond to every submission within twelve weeks. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer personalized feedback on all submissions. Please keep in mind that what may not be a fit for us may very well be a fit for another publishing house as this industry is very subjective.
- Does it cost to publish with Finch House Press?
No, we are not a publishing service or hybrid/vanity press. We are a traditional, independent publisher. We pay our authors, our authors do not pay us.
- What kind of publishing contract do you offer?
We offer digital-first contracts. We do not pay an advance to the author, but we do pay higher royalties than most traditional publishers. Manuscripts of 50,000 words in length or more will be available in paperback format as well.
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via our contact page.